Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Tuesday Prayer Journal - He's Got a Beef

I think everyone has heard the verse - "He owns the cattle on 1,000 hills." Usually, it is a reference to God's amazing wealth. It reminds people that God has amazing resources at His disposal. People will say, "Well, God will provide for us because He owns the cattle on 1,000 hills."  Because God owns a lot of beef - He is going to hand out a lot of burgers.  Missionaries, Pastors, Evangelists... Camp Workers and anyone else trying to do something great for God use this line to help them sleep at night. It soothes the worry.

But during prayer today, I read Psalm 50. Afterall, Psalm 51 was a little too much to handle. Psalm 50 seemed a little easier to digest... written by someone nicer than the murderer, adulterer, cheater, liar and divorcee that wrote 51.


Anyway, I read Psalm 50. Here is what God said to His people.

v. 8-9
"I have no complaint about your sacrifices
or the burnt offerings you constantly offer.
But I do not need the bulls from your barns
or the goats from your pens.
For all the animals of the forest are mine,
and I own the cattle on a thousand hills." (NLT)


It is a call to God's people to appear before Him for judgement. Basically God said through Asaph, "All your sacrifices are really nice, but I don't want them. Besides, what do I need? I don't really need your bulls, goats or the blood you shed. I don't need your sacrifice. I have all I want."

Now today, we don't go killing bulls at church - we eat them for lunch. But we do want to do a bunch of stuff. We think that all of our sacrifices of time, money, energy and stuff give us credibility with God. The more we do - the more He likes us. So, when we get tight on cash and drop the line about the cattle on a thousand hills we say, "God will provide for me because He owns stuff and wants to give it to me because my ministry is important." 
But the line about the cattle is about God not wanting anymore.  His needs are met. He is content... in fact, He could do with a little less whining.

So, what does God really want? Ahhhhhhh.... now that is the real question!


v. 14-15, 22-23
"Make thankfulness your sacrifice to God,
and keep the vows you made to the Most High.
Then call on me when you are in trouble, and I will rescue you,
and you will give me glory.”


"Repent, all of you who forget me,

or I will tear you apart,
and no one will help you.
But giving thanks is a sacrifice that truly honors me.
If you keep to my path,
I will reveal to you the salvation of God.” (NLT)


God not only owns the cattle on 1,000 hills, He has a beef with us. God doesn't really want more sacrifices of time, effort, or sweat... though we could use more of that at ETBC. What God wants is thanksgiving. God wants us to give sacrifices of thanksgiving!

Here is why thanksgiving is so powerful. Thanksgiving is an act of faith. It is trust in God. It is humility. It is submission to God. When we give the sacrifice of thanksgiving to God, we prove our heart of faith in Him. God considers faith - righteousness (goodness). Thanksgiving is an act of righteousness before God. Further, these verses show that thanksgiving prepares God's heart to listen to our need.


God is not as interested in our sacrifice as we are  - save one. God is interested in the sacrifice of thanksgiving. When we practice this, God becomes intensely aware of our need and wants to show us His glory.


As we give God thanks, He gives us help.  He will help us as we commit to hearts of gratitude! He may own the cattle on a 1,000 hills, but they're His.  He's keeping them.


Pastor Ron